查看: 2122|回复: 12

[大学时代] 六位数的年收入做喜欢的工作

[复制链接]
发表于 2011-8-28 10:49 AM | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

本帖最后由 curiosity2009 于 2011-8-28 13:48 编辑

六位数的年收入做喜欢的工作

应该很不错吧?

乐乐今年20岁,大学读了两年。暑假在IT 公司实习,被公司看中,于是暂时中止了学业,开始了正式工作。
乐乐爸爸是学计算机,妈妈学数学的,遗传基因使他的数理方面很强。中学的时候有点偏科,文科语言历史等学起来比较吃力平平常常。乐乐只对理科感兴趣,课外活动只参加数学队,有时间就在网上钻研电脑。暑假的时候帮助一家IT公司编程序,还赚了点小钱。父母想让他上MIT 或Caltech,由于不够全面未被录取,所以在州立大学读书。书未念完,就被公司挖走了。

培养兴趣,发现天赋,保护好好奇心比把进什么学校为目标更为重要,天生我材必有用。

“知之者不如好知者,好知者不如乐知者”
发表于 2011-8-28 11:28 AM | 显示全部楼层
三十岁之前补短,四十岁以后扬长-----------------俺大学老师的话。
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2011-8-28 11:47 AM | 显示全部楼层
面瓜 发表于 2011-8-28 12:28
三十岁之前补短,四十岁以后扬长-----------------俺大学老师的话。

四十岁扬长太晚鸟------好奇老师的话
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-8-28 11:48 AM | 显示全部楼层
curiosity2009 发表于 2011-8-28 17:47
四十岁扬长太晚鸟------好奇老师的话

我只能说MIT是聪明的,不要太偏科的人。
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2011-8-28 11:56 AM | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 curiosity2009 于 2011-8-28 12:57 编辑
面瓜 发表于 2011-8-28 12:48
我只能说MIT是聪明的,不要太偏科的人。

好学校都要求知识才艺全面的,在这个基础上再看你是不是对事物有passion,任何事物都可以,不光光是学业。
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-8-28 12:45 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-8-28 01:07 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-8-28 02:48 PM | 显示全部楼层
面瓜 发表于 2011-8-28 08:48
我只能说MIT是聪明的,不要太偏科的人。

All Ivy does so. They interview potential applicants before they send you college admittance. State colleges won't run this program.

Hence, all As in AP, SAT, ACT... don't mean anything. You need to pass Ivy interview first.
It's not uncommon a student with SAT 2200 passes Ivy interview and gets a letter of college admittance while a student with 2370 SAT fails Ivy interview and has to apply universities at Class II, or state colleges.

BTW, MIT or IT, are popular in a certain group of people, not my favorite.
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-8-28 05:50 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2011-8-28 06:37 PM | 显示全部楼层
silicon_beaver 发表于 2011-8-28 15:48
All Ivy does so. They interview potential applicants before they send you college admittance. Stat ...

很想了解一下面试在学校申请时占的份量,能分享一下你的看法吗?
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-8-28 08:18 PM | 显示全部楼层
curiosity2009 发表于 2011-8-28 15:37
很想了解一下面试在学校申请时占的份量,能分享一下你的看法吗?

Ivy league emphasizes leadership capability, which could be verified through a well-designed interview procedure.
Hence, interview by Ivy League is important.

It’s well-known, Chinese kids are good for academic exams. In contrast, American are good for presentation and debate.
Also, culture difference between Chinese and American make the difference in the interview or judgement.

I saw too many cases within my friends around. These high school students (Chinese) are absolutely outstanding in academic exams (typically SAT 2350 ~2400, GPA 4.67…) but they failed when they made the dash into the Ivy League. Some of them later had to choose universities at California (Stanford, USC, Caltech…), where Chinese face are popular and accepted easily or other colleges within States.

1. Some of them (high school students, Chinese) not good at Ivy interview at all. One boy (Chinese) tried to apply the Harvard medical school. His exam scores are really good. But his parents work very hard on their jobs. No time to give him any, even simply interview training. When you talk to him, he doesn’t know where his hands should be. No need to say, his Ivy interview failed and he later entered EE of another university, where he was over-qualified, in my viewpoint.

2. Some of them have realized the importance of Ivy interview. But, as mentioned, culture difference, at some level, is like a barrier to screen them out. An engineer couple working at Intel. Their boy got Ivy interview. Later he received admittance from all (MIT, Yale,…) except Harvard, which was his first preference. He joined Yale later with a pity. I talked to the parents. The story of the Harvard interview was a little long. But simply say, even boys (both Chinese and American) in suit, speaking English without any accent. However their greetings to interviewer, their gestures to interviewer are different. Chinese kid by their Chinese parents while American kid educated by their American parents. Tell me which boy is more easily accepted in a 30 ~ 60 min interview and your interviews are Harvard alumni, 100% Americans.
You can image, without interview, Harvard campus will be filled up with 100% Chinese faces. In reality, while the rate is much lower, about mere 10%. Academic abilities are only one factor when making consideration of Ivy admittance. Interview, sports, music, even volunteer services are counted on.

3. I watched several debates on campus. These high school students (Chinese) were sharp and delicate, with very fluent English. And working hard (tons of documents and materials). But they rarely won the top places (1st place, 1st team…). If you look at the Judgement group, you will tell. They are all American (even their volunteers are Americans. Chinese parents seldom take the time to work there. For example myself, I prefer to be a car-pool driver). I would think these kids know how to debate but they need to learn how to conquer the Judges.

点评

Thanks for sharing. Both Chinese and kids definitely need to pay attention to the soft skills.  发表于 2011-8-28 08:37 PM

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-8-28 10:16 PM | 显示全部楼层
If you visit MIT campus, you would find out how many Chinese/Asian girls admitted for undergraduate study.

I disagree with your general statement "It’s well-known, Chinese kids are good for academic exams. In contrast, American are good for presentation and debate." Chinese kids are also good for presentation and debate.

Also, not all Ivy conduct an alumini interview to my experience.

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2012-7-7 08:16 PM | 显示全部楼层
curiosity2009 发表于 2011-8-28 11:49 AM
六位数的年收入做喜欢的工作

应该很不错吧?

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|www.hutong9.net

GMT-5, 2024-3-28 11:07 AM , Processed in 0.053727 second(s), 19 queries .