找回密码
 注册
搜索
查看: 1621|回复: 9

[转贴] Price action is king (ZT)

[复制链接]
发表于 2011-12-26 06:49 PM | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

I am a day trader who relies entirely on price action on the intraday Emini S&P 500 Futures (the "Emini") charts, and I believe that reading price action well is an invaluable skill for all traders. Beginners often instead have a deep-seated belief that something more is required, that maybe some complex mathematical formula that very few use would give them just the edge that they need. Goldman Sachs is so rich and sophisticated that they must have a supercomputer and high-powered software that gives them an advantage that insures that all the individual traders are doomed to failure. They start looking at all kinds of indicators and playing with the inputs to customize the indicators to make them just right. Every indicator works some of the time, but for me, they obfuscate instead of elucidate. In fact, without even looking at a chart, you can place a buy order and have a 50 percent chance of being right!

I am not dismissing indicators and systems out of ignorance of their subtleties. I have spent over 10,000 hours writing and testing indicators and systems over the years, and that probably is far more experience than most. This extensive experience with indicators and systems was an essential part of my becoming a successful trader. Indicators work well for many traders, but the best success comes once a trader finds an approach that is compatible with his personality. My single biggest problem with indicators and systems is that I never fully trusted them. At every setup, I saw exceptions that needed to be tested. I always wanted every last penny out of the market and was never satisfied with a return from a system if I could incorporate a new twist that would make it better. I am simply too controlling, compulsive, restless, observant, and untrusting to make money long term off indicators or automated systems, but I am at the extreme in many ways, and most people don't have these same issues.

Many traders, especially beginners, are drawn to indicators, hoping that an indicator will show them when to enter a trade. What they don't realize is that the vast majority of indicators are based on simple price action, and when I am placing trades, I simply cannot think fast enough to process what several indicators might be telling me. Also, oscillators tend to make traders look for reversals and focus less on price charts. These can be effective tools on most days when the market has two or three reversals lasting an hour or more. The problem comes when the market is trending strongly. If you focus too much on your indicators, you will see that they are forming divergences all day long, and you may find yourself repeatedly entering Countertrend and losing money. By the time you come to accept that the market is trending, you will not have enough time left in the day to recoup your losses. Instead, if you were simply looking at a bar or candle chart, you would see that the market is clearly trending, and you would not be tempted by indicators to look for trend reversals. The most common successful reversals first break a trendline with strong momentum and then pullback to test the extreme, and if a trader focuses too much on divergences, she will often overlook this fundamental fact. A divergence in the absence of a Countertrend momentum surge that breaks a trendline is a losing strategy. Wait for the trendline break, and then see if the test of the old extreme reverses or if the old trend resumes. You do not need an indicator to tell you that a strong reversal here is a high-probability trade, at least for a scalp, and there will almost certainly be a divergence, so why complicate your thinking by adding the indicator to your calculus?

Some pundits recommend a combination of time frames, indicators, wave counting, and Fibonacci retracements and extensions, but when it comes time to place the trade, they will only do it if there is a good price action setup. Also, when they see a good price action setup, they start looking for indicators that show divergences or different time frames for moving average tests or wave counts or Fibonacci setups to confirm what is in front of them. In reality, they are price action traders who are trading exclusively off price action on only one chart but don't feel comfortable admitting it. They are complicating their trading to the point that they certainly are missing many, many trades because their overanalysis takes too much time to place their orders, and they are forced to wait for the next setup. The logic just isn't there for making the simple so complicated. Obviously adding any information can lead to better decision making, and many people may be able to process lots of inputs when deciding whether to place a trade. Ignoring data because of a simplistic ideology alone is foolish. The goal is to make money, and a trader should do everything he can to maximize his profits. I simply cannot process multiple indicators and time frames well in the time needed to place my orders accurately, and I find that carefully reading a single chart is far more profitable for me. Also, if I rely on indicators, I find that I get lazy in my price action reading and often miss the obvious. Price action is far more important than any other information, and if you sacrifice some of what it is telling you to gain information from something else, you are likely making a bad decision.

There are countless ways to make money trading stocks and Eminis, but all require movement (well, except for shorting options). If you learn to read the charts, you will catch a great number of these profitable trades every day without ever knowing why some institution started the trend and without ever knowing what any indicator is showing. You don't need their software or analysts because they will show you what they are doing. All you have to do is piggy-back onto their trades, and you will make a profit. Price action will tell you what they are doing and allow you an early entry with a tight stop.

评分

查看全部评分

发表于 2011-12-26 06:54 PM | 显示全部楼层
写得非常非常好,和我个人的DT经历很吻合。
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-12-26 07:14 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-12-26 08:10 PM | 显示全部楼层
sounds like from Al Brooks
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-12-27 09:29 AM | 显示全部楼层
there are no fans in here.
Most visitors in here like to follow, don't want to learn.

they like to follow wave 'analysis', they want to make money quickly. The result is the opposite.
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-12-27 12:15 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-12-27 12:35 PM | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 dsp 于 2011-12-27 12:35 编辑

nice wording.
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-12-27 12:58 PM | 显示全部楼层
ppteam 发表于 2011-12-27 09:29
there are no fans in here.
Most visitors in here like to follow, don't want to learn.

Exactly that is the problem of all  so called "Qing Wa". Just want to follow, not to think.
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-12-28 06:43 AM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2011-12-28 07:08 AM | 显示全部楼层
本帖最后由 NYQ 于 2011-12-28 07:24 编辑

That is true, but not solely restricted to day trading. Price is No. 1 no matter what trading you are doing, but as you trade the longer time window, the time (No.2) factor is also need to be carefully considered.

I am also a fan, a tadpole fan.
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|www.hutong9.net

GMT-5, 2024-4-28 04:09 PM , Processed in 0.091062 second(s), 18 queries .