找回密码
 注册
搜索
查看: 2453|回复: 10

[讨论] 扫描quarterly net income的股票

[复制链接]
发表于 2014-1-4 08:19 PM | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

大家怎样看一个公司的FA的?

Net income grow each quater: buy adi now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy bll now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy bk now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy bms now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy cbs now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy cnp now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy schw now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy cma now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy emn now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy etn now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy esv now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy exc now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy gd now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy jec now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy lm now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy lmt now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy l now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy mro now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy mas now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy ma now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy ne now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy nsc now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy pnr now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy pnw now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy peg now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy dgx now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy rok now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy col now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy shw now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy srcl now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy ups now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy var now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy vtr now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy vmc now, you will be rich !!!!!
Net income grow each quater: buy wfc now, you will be rich !!!!!

评分

查看全部评分

发表于 2014-1-4 09:16 PM | 显示全部楼层
i think the best way to look at FA is to read the 10K and try to understand the economics of the business, quality of management. Net income growth could be faked for a period of time, there are many items between top line(revenue) and bottom line(net income), if management is not honest, they can do many things to make them appear better than what really is happening.

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2014-1-4 09:32 PM | 显示全部楼层
I think Net income grow each year might be more dependable. It is hard to manipulate/fake for years.
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-1-4 09:58 PM | 显示全部楼层
jamesmith 发表于 2014-1-4 09:16 PM
i think the best way to look at FA is to read the 10K and try to understand the economics of the bus ...

that's be hard for a computer program, :(
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2014-1-4 09:59 PM | 显示全部楼层
wsjboy 发表于 2014-1-4 09:32 PM
I think Net income grow each year might be more dependable. It is hard to manipulate/fake for years.

if check yearly income, it might be too late

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2014-1-4 10:06 PM | 显示全部楼层
5883 发表于 2014-1-4 09:59 PM
if check yearly income, it might be too late

you have a good point!
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2014-1-4 10:34 PM | 显示全部楼层
5883 发表于 2014-1-4 09:58 PM
that's be hard for a computer program, :(

I believe looking at Free cash flow is better than net income. For scanning how about look at margin, EV/EBITDA, ROA, ROE...

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2014-1-6 12:40 AM | 显示全部楼层
jamesmith 发表于 2014-1-4 10:34 PM
I believe looking at Free cash flow is better than net income. For scanning how about look at marg ...

Please excuse my ignorant, I want to ask some basic questions:

1) P/FCF : cash/free cash flow, I guess that the small the better?
2) Margin, we have three, which one is more important? The bigger the better? or opposite?
    Gross Margin
    Operating Margin
    Profit Margin
3) What is EV/EBITDA?

If you answer my questions, that would be great! but if you don't have time, leave them alone, since I have not done my homework.
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2014-1-7 12:17 AM | 显示全部楼层
wsjboy 发表于 2014-1-6 12:40 AM
Please excuse my ignorant, I want to ask some basic questions:

1) P/FCF : cash/free cash flow,  ...

no problem, there is a lot I don't know, I will try to share what I know and hopefully it's useful.

1) it's a good sign if we see a trend of FCF increasing over time, and yes P/FCF ratio would be better if it is smaller, and i think this is sometimes a better metric to look at then P/E.
It also really depends on the business and management…there are always exceptions, some businesses are cyclical by nature, so its FCF trend won't be very smooth, and sometimes it is a better choice to not do business and have lower income/cash flow, and this might not be obvious.
For example, insurance, profit comes from:
a) underwriting profit, the profit that an insurance company generates after paying out claims and expenses.
b) investing the float.
However insurance is cyclical, a cycle begins when insurers tighten their underwriting standards and sharply raise premiums after a period of severe underwriting losses or investing loses. This higher premium will lead to higher profit and increase competition among insurers, then many insurance will try to gain market share by lowering premium rates and relaxing underwriting standards, thereby causing underwriting losses and setting the stage for the cycle to begin again.
So a rational player will do lots of business on years when premium is high, and they won't cut prices when everyone else does, they are fine doing very little business when premium rate doesn't make sense, sometimes waiting for years. This is how Berkshire Hathaway's insurance business operates.

2) For scanning, i think it is common to use profit margin.
They tell different things, it could be useful to look at all three when we are looking in more depth after initial scanning.
For example, If gross margin is low, we know cost of sale is very high, we can compare that with competitors, and try to estimate if the business can reduce that cost to improve profit.
If gross margin looks good but operating margin is really low, is management being paid too much? Can they reduce workforce to cut cost? how much is depreciation? Does it make sense?

3) EV is enterprise value, it's the amount of $$ it takes to buy the whole company, after you buy the company you get all its cash and debt so
EV = market cap - cash + debt
EBITDA is Earning before Interest, Tax, Depreciation, Amortization, this could be very useful!
Good management will minimize net income to reduce tax by aggresive depreciation and leverage, in this case, it will be meaningless to look at net income.
The best example is John Malone of TCI (using leverage to buy/build lots of cable network, cut cost and improve margin, aggressively depreciate them, result is very low tax (net income) with health cash flow, after operation improved and stable, repeat, leverage to buy even more cable network…)
$1 invested during John Malone's era (from May 1973, to March 1999) becomes $933. In the same period, S&P 500 returned will be $22.

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2014-1-7 12:45 AM | 显示全部楼层
jamesmith 发表于 2014-1-7 12:17 AM
no problem, there is a lot I don't know, I will try to share what I know and hopefully it's usef ...

Holy Grail! I need to become an economist plus business expert to research all these, and they are probably not enough. I don't think I can do this much research.
I will try to learn a little at a time, and try to use the little I have learned to improve my trading...One step at a time...
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2014-1-7 01:50 AM | 显示全部楼层
wsjboy 发表于 2014-1-7 12:45 AM
Holy Grail! I need to become an economist plus business expert to research all these, and they are ...

I don't think it's necessary to be a economist or business expert…it's more about using common sense, getting to know the business of the stock we are buying, really trying to understand how it's run, what would a rational management do.
Ultimately we are determining the quality of company we are buying, and buy good ones when they are cheap.

It does take time, because a bank will operate very differently from a technology company, and real estate company will be very different from energy.
But that's where the fun comes from...

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|www.hutong9.net

GMT-5, 2024-4-26 06:06 PM , Processed in 0.207192 second(s), 23 queries .