找回密码
 注册
搜索
查看: 1733|回复: 6

ProShares Announces ETF Splits: Volatility Fund to See 1-for-5 Reverse

[复制链接]
发表于 2015-5-9 09:51 AM | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

By Chris Dieterich

The market’s largest provider of geared exchange-traded funds last week announced a slew of splits and reverse splits that take effect in the weeks ahead.

That means it’s time again for investors to take inventory on whether they own too much of these fast-moving funds.

One fund on the list that stands out is an ETF that is particularly popular with traders who deal in fear, meaning the CBOE Volatility Index, or VIX.

The ProShares Ultra VIX Short-Term Futures ETF (UVXY) will undergo a 1-for-5 reverse split that takes effect at the opening bell on May 20. Holders get one share of the ETF for every five they own.

Splits and reverse splits are forms of housekeeping by ETF providers. The splits will not change the value of a shareholder’s investment, but traders don’t want a fund that’s too pricey, or too cheap. In the case of UVXY and eight other ETFs, shares were getting too cheap.

While spits are generally a wash economically, fractional shares that can lead to unplanned gains (or losses) and, thus, unplanned tax events. This blogger noted the phenomenon in the Barron’s print segment a while back.

Twelve other funds, including the ProShares Ultra Nasdaq Biotechnology ETF (BIB), are undergoing 2-for-1 stock splits. For these, prices have gotten awful high. BIB’s shares are up 22% this year to $153.

As Barron’s has noted previously, getting caught in a split provides a chance to reflect about whether you’re holding these zippy funds longer than you should. More to the point: why are you trading leveraged ETFs at all?

The ProShares volatility ETF is already down more than 60% during 2015. In fact, this blog noted an unusually hefty options trade that profits if UVXY falls much, much more. And guess what? That trade is making money!

http://blogs.barrons.com/focuson ... arrons&ru=yahoo

评分

查看全部评分

发表于 2015-5-9 08:46 PM | 显示全部楼层
UVXY will be pumped up. Let,s see thanks you inform

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-5-9 10:10 PM | 显示全部楼层
Yang will also have a reverse split on May 20th.

1:5 for UVXY will save me some commission costs in IB.

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-5-10 08:22 AM | 显示全部楼层
RUSS will also have a reverse split on May 20th.

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-5-10 08:54 AM | 显示全部楼层
恒一 发表于 2015-5-9 10:10 PM
Yang will also have a reverse split on May 20th.

1:5 for UVXY will save me some commission costs ...

UVXY每年都起码split一次吧?

对了,中国突然又降息了,那个gap周一怕是不补了,又得套几天吧?

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-5-10 09:47 AM | 显示全部楼层
Lufthansa 发表于 2015-5-10 08:54 AM
UVXY每年都起码split一次吧?

A few days ago, many people were talking about China's rate cut. I had a plan:

I planned to buy some ASHR related stocks on Friday, but it was up over 2%, so I cancelled my plan.

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2015-5-10 09:49 AM | 显示全部楼层
Lufthansa 发表于 2015-5-10 08:54 AM
UVXY每年都起码split一次吧?

I bought some SDOW at $18.17 before the closing. If Monday is a range day, I can get out.

评分

查看全部评分

回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|www.hutong9.net

GMT-5, 2024-4-25 11:54 PM , Processed in 0.043824 second(s), 15 queries .