找回密码
 注册
搜索
查看: 1413|回复: 3

[转贴] ETF Option Trading

[复制链接]
发表于 2008-11-28 06:33 PM | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

ETF Option Trading

ETF Option trading method that combines the directional trading of the ETF with the counter trading of the ETF Option.

As discussed below, on 11-7 a put ratio sell was done on goldman sachs at the mex extreme - buying 1 dec 70p 9.00 and selling 2 dec 60p 5.80 - giving a 2.60 credit with directional participation to 60.00 of 12.60, and with a cost basis of 47.40 if the stock was put to me from the 2nd 60 put sell.

Looking to the 10-10 low of 74.00, a stock cost of 47.40 would be a move of 35.95 percent below that price, which was a risk I was willing to take.  And then the market-stock kept going lower and lower-goldman sachs typically underperforming the market in both directions with the stock quickly going to the 61.00 area - still 'plenty' of room to 47.40 BUT I sure didn't feel the same 'comfort' with the position and started thinking of adjustments -vs- simply taking a loss and going flat --- what are various things that could be done to this position to give further protection to the IF put stock?

At the time of the dia 15min yellow circle the 60min mode chart was still in buy-this was before the red bar - this then became the sell entry to that mode at the red dot as a right side pmd failure break of the left side support area where the period went to its highs.  After this trade was done there was a subsequent retrace after the 60min extreme BUT the mode remained in sell - red dot2 was a momentum resumption sell addon as a reject of the left-right blue line with mex flow and the ttmf hook.

The iwm discussion below from 11-7 talks about how the iwm 60m sell was a time where a 'core' trading method setup was taken ahead of the actual mode reverse - that setup being a double top pmd high reject-purple square triple break with diagonal breakout potential.  Then red dot2 was done as an addon - a pmd failure break of the left-right price with the momentum resumption-ttmf hook - very similar to the dia addon except that was a price reject-failure where this is a price-failure break - these are setups from the same method concept of trading left-right prices from previous price action.

Now compare this to chart2 from yesterday's trade journal AND the repeat of the same trade setups used for day trading - where red dot1 was also a pmd swing reverse-an additional setup component coming from the floor pivot reject into the entry AND where red dot2 was an addon as a pmd failure of the left-right price from the buy price action - this setup also including a price reject component so it is a combination price reject-failure AND price failure break. 

Further compare the euro addon sell to the dia 15 min chart - where in that case the same setup was used to enter the swing because it was the first setup available after not trading around the initial reverse - in the case of the euro since there was an initial trade setup-trade the setup became and addon.

Still wanting to compare repeated method setups -vs- time frame and position trading or day trading - consider the euro chart AND are you flat in the area of the green circle initial reverse because you didn't have a trade setup on this chart or your 62t timing chart?

The green dot is another pmd failure setup - either as an initial entry if not long around the green circle-an addon setup if already long - the setup being a shift reject of the 2 yellow squares-blue line where the breakout was now as chart support entering at the green dot as a pmd failure.

This is a price reject-failure entry AND IF the entry area synched with a left side price from the price action of the sell swing this would be combined with a price failure break like the euro chart2 above - look to the left of this area AND do you have the 12508 price on your chart which then becomes the yellow circle area and where the sell swing reversed was --- having a pmd as a retest of this area 'trying' to reject as resistance is a very common occurrence AND the combination setup exists where this is additional a price failure break entry of that price.

Buy the rumor-sell the news has been the recent move centered around the election - moves that have been 'captured' both with underlying and option trading --- the buy being a mode reverse then shift-reject with mex flow up through the 2 yellow square triple top breakout with left side breakout potential - AND the sell being the reason for this chart.

Technically this isn't a mode related trade as it occurred before the reverse BUT it is a method selective base setup - pmd high double top start point - triple break entry with left side diagonal breakout potential --- synched with the fast chart focus line sell into the 2 right side points which is additionally a left-right triple bottom breakout. 

I won't usually trade before the mode reverse if for no other reason than there is an option trade participating in that direction IF I don't get a setup after the reverse - BUT this is a case where the method setup 'overrides' the mode.

Recent moves gave most of the ratio put sells since 10/10 an opportunity to be closed for profits, or have ratio call sells traded 'against' them for those doing this on a 'trading account' basis -vs- in a pension where only trades against cash were done. 

With the sell-off since the election, I have been looking for some ratio put sells again and have looked at Goldman Sachs.  Let me first say if you consider doing this that GS has not 'acted' like the market - it has done little in the up markets, and even gone down like 11-7 where it closed down 3.99% when the XLF was +3.15%.

The 10/10 low was 74.00 - the short strike in this trade is 60.00 giving an additional 18.9% 'cushion' to this price, with the if put cost on the 2nd short in the ratio being 47.40 or a 35.9% 'cushion' to that price, and a price lower than GS has been in the last 10 years.  Granted, anything can happen, but this does seem like a decent amount directional participation before a lost would be incurred, and then a price I could accept owning the stock.

Ratio Option Trading

A couple of weeks ago I was discussing-showing some ratio put trades that I was doing where I was buying 1 put-selling 2 out of the money puts – the point of the trades were to take advantage of the volatility where these could be done at a nice credit, have directional participation to the short strike, buy stocks well below their current price if they were put to me-with that cost basis being lowered further by the profit-credit that would first be gained before this point. 

As the market has had a big recent move up – what do you think about doing the same trade BUT on the call side where you bought 1 call-sold 2 calls – is this the same essential trade that had been done with the put ratios when the markets were down so far BUT done with calls in the direction the recent market move?

Ratio Option Trade - Buy 1 Put Sell 2 Puts

rimm:  the stock was up all day against market direction AND i decided to include this with the 1:2 ratio put buy-sells that have been done recently.  the trade was done using december options after the initial reverse at a stock price of 52.00 --- what would the strikes-prices be using 97.5% volatility - what-where would your maximum profit be if the stock wasn't put to you - what would your stock cost basis be if it was put to you?

when i had written previously discussing a 1:2 ratio put buy-sell in order to first gain directional participation AND then to possibly have a stock that you want in your portfolio put to you at a cost basis well below current price - i showed an IBM trade that i did when the stock was 86.92 and the stock IF put to me would have cost 64.80.

after doing this someone else showed me 2 similar trades that they did BUT using a 5 point spread on 1 and a 2.5 point spread on the other.  yes the ratio was done at a credit however they did go to january instead of november to get the fill AND yes this did give them a stock at a lowered cost basis - BUT besides having to wait to january they also didn't get the same kind of directional without being put.

since then we have seen some additional market movement - the 10/10 low-10/16 higher low AND although i am in not trying to say that there had been a bottom made OR that these prices were going to hold - they do give some areas to make some additional trade decisions around. 

for instance consider the top chart of xyz which closed 10/17 at 62.75 - had a 10/10 low of 52.00 AND a 10/16 higher low of 58.30 --- IF i now buy 1 60p 3.50 sell 2 55p 2.00 - i am selling the put below the higher low price AND my cost basis if put to me is 49.50 which is below the 10/10 low - i also have directional participation on a break of the higher low-hold of the low.

now i would still rather try to find stocks where i could do this kind of trade with 10 points between the long-short put BUT wanted to show an example of a trade that i could do with some of the decision parameters in a 5 point width --- always assuming that i want the stock in my portfolio if it is put to me.

Anyone have stocks – either personally OR in retirement – where the retirement account also allows you to sell puts against cash? 

Consider:  you want to buy xyz which is currently at 86.25 but don’t want to do this as a stock buy AND also don’t want to simply sell an 85.00 put for instance to get the stock put to you at a lower price --- you want to give this room to go down another 10% BUT you want to do the trade today – would you do the following: 

Buy 1 85 put – sell 2 75 puts --- model this for november options using 68% volatility – noting that the otm put has 75% miv.  After you do this the key thing I want you to know-understand – what would your cost basis be for the stock if it was put to you?

Option Trading Modeling

Model the trades-question on the following charts.

ETF Options Trading - Training Introduction

Audio:  audio1  audio2

i mention trading options AND some people tune out thinking they are too confusing or risky

position trading -vs- day trading - not an either-or
something that could be traded profitably before real money day trading
what to trade
sector participation that wouldn't futures day trade
single etf - portfolio approach

Option

buying options - selling options
basic strategy - option buys OR covered sells

expiration math -vs- directional math
multiplier
delta
at the money
intrinsic value

call option
put option
underlying -vs- call option

发表于 2008-11-29 12:38 AM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-29 11:50 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2008-11-30 02:46 AM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|www.hutong9.net

GMT-5, 2024-3-29 01:38 AM , Processed in 0.087102 second(s), 14 queries .