[复制链接]
发表于 2009-3-27 04:57 PM | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

华尔街群起抗议:这是一场阶级战争 逼得政府收购银行房贷坏账
来源: dcba 于 09-03-27 08:40:08 [档案] [博客] [旧帖] [转至博客] [给我悄悄话]

“奖金门”何以得到非常规解决
www.jfdaily.com 2009-03-26 07:55 稿件来源:新闻晨报

□晨报评论专栏作者 薛 涌

(发自美国)

纽约州总检查官AndrewM.Cuomo证实:AIG的10名顶尖高管,已经有9名同意退回奖金。本月发出去的1.65亿美元奖金,已收回了5000万美元,将近三分之一。他希望最终收回8000万美元。

AIG 奖金风波闹到这种程度,实在是我辈毕生所未见。一个大公司的“奖金门”,几乎酿成重大政治事件。事实证明,奥巴马政府事先知道奖金的事,但没有动作,属于看管纳税人的钱失职。共和党乘机要求财长Geithner辞职。最后逼得奥巴马出来承担责任,力挺Geithner。Geithner也连夜加班,在周一提出了政府收购银行房贷坏账的详细计划,总算让华尔街满意,导致股市暴涨。奥巴马随即宣布经济有所进步,让大家保持信心。这才算勉强躲过执政以来的第一大危机。

不过,化解这一危机的另一面,是AIG高管被迫退回奖金。此间内情虽然不清楚,但估计日后会是一部小说或电影的素材。奥巴马声色俱厉地训斥AIG还在其次,艾奥瓦州共和党参议员CharlesGrassley放话让AIG的高管自杀似乎也不够味,AIG确实不停收到死亡威胁。有人写道:“我最大的希望,就是所有AIG高管及其家属都被钢琴弦勒死。”另一位则建议公布这些高管的名单,然后一些“南方的好男孩们会收拾他们”。同时,众议院通过的议案,要征 90%的奖金税,参议院也声称要讨论有关法案。AIG的纽约总部也草木皆兵,迅速把AIG的标记去掉,一夜之间,这个国际商业巨子的大本营变成了“不明建筑物”。

华尔街则大怒,群起抗议这是一场阶级战争。《华尔街日报》一位核心编辑在电视上大声疾呼:现在AIG这些雇员及其家属确有生命威胁,公布他们的名单是对他们真实的人身威胁。但是,纽约州总检查官Andrew M.Cuomo并不退让,称公布这些人的名单在他的权力之内,尽管在公布时也会考虑安全因素。但他所说“会考虑安全因素”究竟是安慰还是含沙射影的威胁,只有听者自己去理解了。

这也是AIG高管投降的背景。至于内幕,可能就更为惊险。这些奖金发得缺德,但按法律很难拿回来。如果拿不回来,奥巴马拯救经济的一系列措施就都难出手 ——从国会要钱将十分艰难;Geithner则将权威尽失,不会有人把他当回事。另外,这种90%奖金税的猛药一旦落实,对华尔街的后果也不堪设想。所以,从政府到华尔街的同事,再到愤怒的老百姓,压力排山倒海。只有当那些高管退回奖金后,纽约州总检查官AndrewM.Cuomo才发话说:“既然钱退回来了,名字也就没有必要公布了。”这究竟是交易还是默契,只有天知道。参议院领袖也马上出来说,既然钱能回来,我们也就暂缓讨论奖金税的议案了。

可见,AIG高管退回奖金,几乎是一场政变。其中暴力的威胁比比皆是。许多高管退回奖金后也就辞职,离开这一是非之地。也许多年后,人们才会知道这一过程的更多细节。说不定真有当面的要挟和威胁。这种超常规的解决方式,在一个民主法制社会如此运用,其中的是非,也只有留待历史判断了。
 楼主| 发表于 2009-3-27 04:58 PM | 显示全部楼层
蛋头 at 168 Post subject: Dear A.I.G., I Quit!
PostPosted: 3/27/09 00:48

The following is a letter sent on Tuesday by Jake DeSantis, an executive vice president of the American International Group’s financial products unit, to Edward M. Liddy, the chief executive of A.I.G.

DEAR Mr. Liddy,

It is with deep regret that I submit my notice of resignation from A.I.G. Financial Products. I hope you take the time to read this entire letter. Before describing the details of my decision, I want to offer some context:

I am proud of everything I have done for the commodity and equity divisions of A.I.G.-F.P. I was in no way involved in — or responsible for — the credit default swap transactions that have hamstrung A.I.G. Nor were more than a handful of the 400 current employees of A.I.G.-F.P. Most of those responsible have left the company and have conspicuously escaped the public outrage.

After 12 months of hard work dismantling the company — during which A.I.G. reassured us many times we would be rewarded in March 2009 — we in the financial products unit have been betrayed by A.I.G. and are being unfairly persecuted by elected officials. In response to this, I will now leave the company and donate my entire post-tax retention payment to those suffering from the global economic downturn. My intent is to keep none of the money myself.

I take this action after 11 years of dedicated, honorable service to A.I.G. I can no longer effectively perform my duties in this dysfunctional environment, nor am I being paid to do so. Like you, I was asked to work for an annual salary of $1, and I agreed out of a sense of duty to the company and to the public officials who have come to its aid. Having now been let down by both, I can no longer justify spending 10, 12, 14 hours a day away from my family for the benefit of those who have let me down.

You and I have never met or spoken to each other, so I’d like to tell you about myself. I was raised by schoolteachers working multiple jobs in a world of closing steel mills. My hard work earned me acceptance to M.I.T., and the institute’s generous financial aid enabled me to attend. I had fulfilled my American dream.

I started at this company in 1998 as an equity trader, became the head of equity and commodity trading and, a couple of years before A.I.G.’s meltdown last September, was named the head of business development for commodities. Over this period the equity and commodity units were consistently profitable — in most years generating net profits of well over $100 million. Most recently, during the dismantling of A.I.G.-F.P., I was an integral player in the pending sale of its well-regarded commodity index business to UBS. As you know, business unit sales like this are crucial to A.I.G.’s effort to repay the American taxpayer.

The profitability of the businesses with which I was associated clearly supported my compensation. I never received any pay resulting from the credit default swaps that are now losing so much money. I did, however, like many others here, lose a significant portion of my life savings in the form of deferred compensation invested in the capital of A.I.G.-F.P. because of those losses. In this way I have personally suffered from this controversial activity — directly as well as indirectly with the rest of the taxpayers.

I have the utmost respect for the civic duty that you are now performing at A.I.G. You are as blameless for these credit default swap losses as I am. You answered your country’s call and you are taking a tremendous beating for it.

But you also are aware that most of the employees of your financial products unit had nothing to do with the large losses. And I am disappointed and frustrated over your lack of support for us. I and many others in the unit feel betrayed that you failed to stand up for us in the face of untrue and unfair accusations from certain members of Congress last Wednesday and from the press over our retention payments, and that you didn’t defend us against the baseless and reckless comments made by the attorneys general of New York and Connecticut.
My guess is that in October, when you learned of these retention contracts, you realized that the employees of the financial products unit needed some incentive to stay and that the contracts, being both ethical and useful, should be left to stand. That’s probably why A.I.G. management assured us on three occasions during that month that the company would “live up to its commitment” to honor the contract guarantees.

That may be why you decided to accelerate by three months more than a quarter of the amounts due under the contracts. That action signified to us your support, and was hardly something that one would do if he truly found the contracts “distasteful.”

That may also be why you authorized the balance of the payments on March 13.

At no time during the past six months that you have been leading A.I.G. did you ask us to revise, renegotiate or break these contracts — until several hours before your appearance last week before Congress.

I think your initial decision to honor the contracts was both ethical and financially astute, but it seems to have been politically unwise. It’s now apparent that you either misunderstood the agreements that you had made — tacit or otherwise — with the Federal Reserve, the Treasury, various members of Congress and Attorney General Andrew Cuomo of New York, or were not strong enough to withstand the shifting political winds.

You’ve now asked the current employees of A.I.G.-F.P. to repay these earnings. As you can imagine, there has been a tremendous amount of serious thought and heated discussion about how we should respond to this breach of trust.

As most of us have done nothing wrong, guilt is not a motivation to surrender our earnings. We have worked 12 long months under these contracts and now deserve to be paid as promised. None of us should be cheated of our payments any more than a plumber should be cheated after he has fixed the pipes but a careless electrician causes a fire that burns down the house.

Many of the employees have, in the past six months, turned down job offers from more stable employers, based on A.I.G.’s assurances that the contracts would be honored. They are now angry about having been misled by A.I.G.’s promises and are not inclined to return the money as a favor to you.

The only real motivation that anyone at A.I.G.-F.P. now has is fear. Mr. Cuomo has threatened to “name and shame,” and his counterpart in Connecticut, Richard Blumenthal, has made similar threats — even though attorneys general are supposed to stand for due process, to conduct trials in courts and not the press.

So what am I to do? There’s no easy answer. I know that because of hard work I have benefited more than most during the economic boom and have saved enough that my family is unlikely to suffer devastating losses during the current bust. Some might argue that members of my profession have been overpaid, and I wouldn’t disagree.

That is why I have decided to donate 100 percent of the effective after-tax proceeds of my retention payment directly to organizations that are helping people who are suffering from the global downturn. This is not a tax-deduction gimmick; I simply believe that I at least deserve to dictate how my earnings are spent, and do not want to see them disappear back into the obscurity of A.I.G.’s or the federal government’s budget. Our earnings have caused such a distraction for so many from the more pressing issues our country faces, and I would like to see my share of it benefit those truly in need.

On March 16 I received a payment from A.I.G. amounting to $742,006.40, after taxes. In light of the uncertainty over the ultimate taxation and legal status of this payment, the actual amount I donate may be less — in fact, it may end up being far less if the recent House bill raising the tax on the retention payments to 90 percent stands. Once all the money is donated, you will immediately receive a list of all recipients.

This choice is right for me. I wish others at A.I.G.-F.P. luck finding peace with their difficult decision, and only hope their judgment is not clouded by fear.

Mr. Liddy, I wish you success in your commitment to return the money extended by the American government, and luck with the continued unwinding of the company’s diverse businesses — especially those remaining credit default swaps. I’ll continue over the short term to help make sure no balls are dropped, but after what’s happened this past week I can’t remain much longer — there is too much bad blood. I’m not sure how you will greet my resignation, but at least Attorney General Blumenthal should be relieved that I’ll leave under my own power and will not need to be “shoved out the door.”

Sincerely,

Jake DeSantis
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-27 04:58 PM | 显示全部楼层
:lol
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

楼主| 发表于 2009-3-27 04:59 PM | 显示全部楼层
mars at 168 Post subject: Re: Dear A.I.G., I Quit!
PostPosted: 3/27/09 03:21

没啥的,只是要看有没有人要利用他。

中文报道在这:
(联合早报网讯)台湾中国时报报道,「美国国际商业集团」(AIG)「金融商品」(FP)部门执行副总裁狄桑提斯(Jake DeSantis)二十四日向该公司执行长李迪递出辞呈,所获的「留才奖金」将全部捐出,他并且指责公司没有力挺员工或把内情解释清楚,以致无辜的员工沦为人人喊打的过街老鼠。

狄桑提斯的辞职函登上了《纽约时报》,而且马上飙到点阅排行的前两位。他在辞职信中表示,他对自己的工作深感自豪,「信用违约交换」交易导致AIG深陷泥淖,与他丝毫无关,他也无须负任何责任。其他四百名现任员工也和此事无关。该负责的人早已离开公司,高明地规避千夫之指。

反而是十二个月来,他们为事业体分割辛苦奔波,期间高层多次保证,今年三月会给予该有的薪酬与奖励,不料最后却被AIG耍弄,甚至还遭起诉,对他们何其不公。为表达不满,他决定离开公司,并将税后的「留才奖金」全部捐给饱受经济衰退之苦的失业者。

狄桑提斯的父母从事教职,并在破产边缘的钢铁厂打工兼差,他可谓实践自己的美国梦,也确实赚了不少钱。「但我自始未从信用违约交换拿到任何红利,倒是和其他多数人一样,终生积蓄因为退休金帐户投资FP的衍生性商品而损失惨重。」「你当清楚,FP员工和AIG钜额亏损无关,你对我们漠不关心,让我失望至极。面对外界不实不公的指责,你袖手旁观,未替我们辩解,让我和其他同仁自觉遭到背叛。」

狄桑提斯认为,李迪起先决定尊重合约精神,不过现在看来这似乎是不智的政治判断。「既然我们无任何不法,因此退钱并非出于内疚或罪恶感。根据合约,我们辛苦做满一年,理应得到应得的。我们和抓漏的水管工人一样,做好份内的事,理应得到报酬,不能因为粗心的电工让房子付之一炬,就拒付我们该得的薪水。」

如今他决定把钱全部捐出而非退回,是为了「至少我有权支配名下的薪水,我不乐见这些钱进了联邦政府预算或AIG口袋。我们的薪资争议转移了大众注意力,导致其他更迫切的问题被冷落,因此我决定把钱捐给真正需要的人。」

dirdir wrote:
谁能总结一下对AIG股价的影响啊, 太长了。
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-27 05:27 PM | 显示全部楼层
要顶
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-27 05:45 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-27 06:01 PM | 显示全部楼层
天下乌鸦
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-27 06:17 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-27 06:17 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-27 06:41 PM | 显示全部楼层
ding
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-27 07:10 PM | 显示全部楼层
pot calling kettle black
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-27 10:34 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

发表于 2009-3-28 12:33 PM | 显示全部楼层
回复 鲜花 鸡蛋

使用道具 举报

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|www.hutong9.net

GMT-5, 2024-5-11 11:07 AM , Processed in 0.182516 second(s), 14 queries .