注册
搜索
查看: 897|回复: 0

Blood sugar without carb

[复制链接]
发表于 2022-11-9 10:09 AM | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

https://livingthenourishedlife.c ... e-high-blood-sugar/

How You Can Have High Blood Sugar Without Carbs

Can you have high blood sugar without carbs? Well, it’s important to look at common beliefs about high blood sugar first.

“High blood sugar is bad. Carbohydrates raise blood sugar. Therefore carbohydrates are bad.” The theory is simple, and yet incredibly flawed.

The truth is, you can have chronically high blood sugar even while religiously avoiding every starch and sugar in sight. Low-carb forums are littered with posts asking a very relevant question:

You are here: Home » Latest Posts » Stress » How You Can Have High Blood Sugar Without Carbs
by Elizabeth Walling 62 Comments  |  Updated: November 7, 2019 |  This post contains affiliate links

How You Can Have High Blood Sugar Without Carbs

Can you have high blood sugar without carbs? Well, it’s important to look at common beliefs about high blood sugar first.

Woman taking sugar level test

“High blood sugar is bad. Carbohydrates raise blood sugar. Therefore carbohydrates are bad.” The theory is simple, and yet incredibly flawed.

The truth is, you can have chronically high blood sugar even while religiously avoiding every starch and sugar in sight. Low-carb forums are littered with posts asking a very relevant question:

Why is my blood sugar so high when I’m not eating any carbs?

The answer is simple, yet often overlooked.

CORTISOL RAISES BLOOD SUGAR VIA GLUCONEOGENESIS
If the body were an engine, glucose would be its fuel. Most people think glucose only comes from carbohydrates (sugar and starch), but protein can also be turned into glucose when there aren’t enough carbs around to do the job.

This process is called gluconeogenesis. In layman’s terms, gluconeogenesis is the process in which the body breaks down amino acids (proteins) into glucose (blood sugar).

High stress hormones can trigger gluconeogenesis. (source)

So basically:

Stress (physical, mental, or emotional in origin) triggers the release of stress hormones like cortisol and adrenaline.
Stress hormones trigger the process of gluconeogenesis.
Gluconeogenesis causes your glucose levels to rise (high blood sugar).
When you have high cortisol levels (from diet, lifestyle, etc.), the cortisol rapidly breaks down protein into glucose, which can raise blood sugar levels considerably. For some folks, this results in chronically high blood sugar–even if they are on a low-carb diet.

Cortisol not only breaks down protein from what you eat… it also cannibalizes amino acids already present in your body. Where are these amino acids from? Well, they can come from lean tissue in your body – including muscle, bone, and organ tissue.

CORTISOL SIDE EFFECTS…
High blood sugar and lean tissue loss aren’t the only side effects of high cortisol. When your stress hormones are high, you can also experience:

Acne
Panic attacks
Weight gain
Fatigue
Irritability
Hair loss
Insomnia
Lower back pain
Allergies
Impotence
Low sex drive
Poor memory
High blood pressure
Arthritis
Gut flora imbalance
Fibromyalgia
Irritable bowel syndrome
Suppressed immunity
Asthma
Accelerated aging
Headaches
Depression
and more…

Doesn’t look too fun, does it?

So before you blame carbs for your high blood sugar woes, consider that high cortisol may be the underlying problem. And addressing the root issue (high cortisol levels) can have a pleasant domino effect by preventing or eliminating the issues above as well.

I talk a lot about stress hormones in my book, The Nourished Metabolism.

How are your stress levels, cortisol levels, and blood sugar levels? Tell me about yourself in the comments below!
a picture of Elizabeth Walling standing next to a red phone booth
Elizabeth Walling
Elizabeth is the founder of The Nourished Life and has been writing about natural living for 12 years. Her work has been featured at Shape, Bustle, and Mother Earth Living. Her mission is to help you lower your stress levels and find fun ways to become happier and healthier. Read more about Elizabeth here.

Recommended
Recommended Content
How to Reduce Stress Hormones
Read More
Recommended Content
How to Make Toothpaste (7 All-Natural Recipes)
Read More
Recommended Content
Keto/Low-Carb Flourless Cheesy Bread Recipe
Read More

“We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.”

READER INTERACTIONS
COMMENTS
Kelly H says

July 24, 2012 at 10:31 am

The final sentence says ‘addressing the root issue’ but doesn’t explain how to do that. Reduce stress, therefore reducing cortisol?

Elizabeth Walling says

July 24, 2012 at 10:59 am

Great question, Kelly. Reducing stress is obviously the key, but that’s a multifaceted subject to say the least! I will be doing more posts related to this in the future.

For now, I added some links at the bottom of this post that will take you to some other articles I’ve written relating to stress and cortisol.

Dennis says

November 12, 2017 at 11:17 am

Hi. Type 2 for a few years. I had a bad few months of eating and stress and just can’t seem to get my numbers down. 200-300. I’m watching my diet ( not overweight) but am frustrated. I take metfirmin as prescribed. It’s been two weeks since I have really tried to get things back to normal ?

Elizabeth W. says

November 13, 2017 at 12:21 pm

I can’t give medical advice, but I would talk to your healthcare provider about ways to reduce stress or better cope with it so you can lessen the negative impact it has on your body. Meditation, walks outside, or simply have a supportive friend to talk with could help.

Joe says

February 9, 2018 at 11:01 am

Try a ketogenic diet
Worked for my t2 I stopped taking meds

Cynthia Jobin says

August 15, 2018 at 10:08 am

I stopped taking all my meds a week ago. I went through three days of pure agony. It’s been one week today that I stopped everything, including my psychological drugs. I feel better now than I have felt in ten years or more. I had a very bad psychotic episode back then. Anyway, long story short, I changed my diet to protein and vegetables only but my blood sugar will not stay below 150. Like I said, I feel great but my Doctor (PA) says I should be no more than 100. I don’t know what else I can do. Any ideas. By the way, before these changes I was anywhere from 200 to 500.

Suze says

July 24, 2017 at 5:04 pm

Hi Kelly
My Dr put me on Adrenal support supplements to diffuse high cortisol levels.
Hope this helps You

Jean m says

January 30, 2018 at 3:57 pm

Thank you.

OraWellness says

July 24, 2012 at 11:23 am

Excellent information (again) bringing to light that although diet is foundational, it’s not all that matters!  Well done Elizabeth!

Elizabeth Walling says

July 24, 2012 at 11:50 am

Thanks, glad you enjoyed it!

Horaciolyon says

July 24, 2012 at 11:42 am

But if you would need to classify people by their cause of high blood sugar wouldn’t be almost everyone because of too much wheat/starch/sugar and a small % due to gluconeogenesis?

Elizabeth Walling says

July 24, 2012 at 11:57 am

I would honestly say just the opposite. High cortisol levels are extremely common and influence blood sugar beyond just gluconeogenesis (by causing inflammation, etc.).

Now, eating a diet heavy in starches when your gut health is compromised or eating carbohydrates exclusively to the point of causing nutrient deficiencies will most certainly raise cortisol levels, so there are definitely different levels of cause and effect going on here.

However, eating carbohydrates can *lower* stress hormones, too, so there are a lot of factors to consider.

Emailbabe says

July 24, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Actually cortisol has anti-inflammatory properties.

Elizabeth Walling says

July 24, 2012 at 12:15 pm

In the short-term, yes, which is why it’s so useful in urgent situations. However, because of how cortisol effects other systems in the body, in the long term it promotes inflammation and autoimmunity conditions.

MikeDees says

September 18, 2018 at 11:20 pm

Sorry, I’m just having a hard time buying any of this. I was on two different diabetes medicines and still had a sustained A1C of over 17. I switch to strictly controlling Carb intake and I’ve kept my A1C to 5.3 for months. In fact It’s been at 5.5 or less for two years. I’m down to just 1000 MG of Metformin a day. Losing weight was another benefit of dropping the bulk of my daily carb intake and replacing it with healthy fats and protein. I’ll add that the improvement in glucose management came within 3 months or less. Well before the bulk of the weight loss. Maybe your advice is better fitted to people who don’t already have a compromised metabolism like T2 diabetics.

Elizabeth W. says

September 21, 2018 at 1:38 pm

I agree, when you have a condition like T2 diabetes, it does complicate the matter even more. This article about stress and diabetes is really interesting: http://www.diabetes.org/living-w ... -health/stress.html

“Stress hormones that are designed to deal with short-term danger stay turned on for a long time. As a result, long-term stress can cause long-term high blood glucose levels.”

Lcs says

February 18, 2019 at 7:36 pm

I disagree. My A1C was controlled prior to a low carb ketosis diet. Now my blood sugars are more than double what they were when I was eating carbs

helene says

March 18, 2019 at 4:06 pm

mine too and i cant understand why???

Vicki says

June 12, 2019 at 11:28 am

I have just experienced raised blood sugars while on keto as well. Super frustrating

Danny J Albers says

July 24, 2012 at 12:18 pm

What you describe happens in a Low carb, Low fat, HIGH protein diet.  You are grossly misinformed on the metabolic results of todays low carb, HIGH FAT, moderate protein diet.  My native elders had a name for the high protein diet and the illness it caused “Rabbit fever”.  Today we call it the “Faileo diet”.  It never works.

As far as cortisol, its a bit about context, you need some gluconeogenisis when doing high fat, low carb, but not nearly as much as when you do high protein, low fat, low carb, again which is the diet you are describing when you bring up the issues above.

As well the cortisol increases over 24 hours are barely a blip in a high fat diet, in orther words a low fat high carb diet and a low carb high fat diet release fairly similar amounts of cortisol over 24 hours, but this is rarely tested relying instead of morning measurements which inheritently favor high carb diets.

I suggest you do a bit more research before you lump both versions of low carb together.  The diet you are describing is “low carb basics” to us practitioners.  High protien, above 35% of calories, is toxic.  Protein should never be ingested to the point where it must be used as the primary energy source.  That is why when you drop carbs YOU RAISE FAT.

Not sure why I bothered to write this on the 100000000th blog who got it wrong now but what the heck, its been a slow day.

Elizabeth Walling says

July 24, 2012 at 12:39 pm

Hi Danny, thanks for commenting. I hope I can clarify what I meant.

As you said, gluconeogenesis is possible even when dietary protein is low. This happens as a direct result of high cortisol, which breaks down protein from lean tissue mass (in muscle, bone and organs). Cortisol does not require protein to be in the diet to perform this function. It takes it directly from the body itself.

As I’m sure you well know, cortisol levels increase for a variety of reasons, not just due to macronutrient ratios. So due to other factors (lifestyle, toxin exposure, etc.) cortisol levels can be chronically high no matter what your macronutrient ratios look like. And this will lead directly to gluconeogenesis and the breakdown of lean body tissue.

L.D says

July 12, 2018 at 1:26 pm

Know this is old, but again……

The body can make glucose from FAT. I lost 50+ lbs on a low carb, moderate protien high fat (my own mostly) diet. I lost only about 3 lbs of lean mass, and based on my weight lifting, i lost no strength, meaning that the proteins that were lost were most likely unneeded collagen/connective tissues in fat and skin.

Yes, my fasting glucose went up a bit (77 to 99) BUT my A1c went DOWN, my post meal glucose went way down and my triglycerides went way, way, way down. My HDL went up. By all meaningful measures low carb has dramatically improved my health.

Elizabeth W. says

July 13, 2018 at 9:10 am

The body can make a small amount of glucose from fat, but the process isn’t very efficient. The energy we get from fat is typically ketones: https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2 ... glucose-from-fatty/

Eileen says

November 19, 2016 at 11:18 am

Thank you Danny. Not everyone is interpreting things badly.

Deborahlee says

July 24, 2012 at 1:01 pm

What do you think of this recent post that suggests the following: although cortisol can certainly stimulate gluconeogenesis, it is GLUCAGON that is the primary trigger in the setting of low carbohydrate driven low blood sugar? http://www.ketotic.org/2012/07/k ... -stress-part-i.html

Elizabeth Walling says

July 24, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Interesting post, thanks for sharing it. Glucagon definitely plays a role in blood sugar regulation.

In my post I’m referring to an explanation for the phenomena that a lot of low-carb dieters seem to experience–chronically high or even climbing blood sugar levels even when they ingest few carbohydrates. Cortisol is a viable explanation for this. Whether or not the cortisol is caused by diet ratios depends on the individual. Cortisol can be high for many reasons not directly associated with diet.

John says

May 20, 2018 at 10:02 am

There is something to this indeed. Last week my blood sugar never went over 110 – even after eating pizza for lunch it was only 94 2 hours later.
Today I wake up to 161 !!!

Andrea says

July 25, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Thanks for the great article! I am in a bit of a quandary because I have high cortisol levels that appear (at least from saliva/urinary analysis) to come from persistent bacterial infections. I went low sugar and low carb for six months and took antifungals to kill off candida and other bad bacteria, but my metabolism took a terrible hit- I gained weight and my blood sugar issues showed no improvement. Do you know of a way to kill off bacterial/fungal infections without stressing the body?

Elizabeth Walling says

July 26, 2012 at 8:09 am

Thyroid health is imperative for battling bacterial and fungal infections on a metabolic level. For directly treating the problem, supplementing with small amounts of sublimed sulfur, activated charcoal or simply eating a raw carrot daily can help with these problems.

Andrea says

July 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Thank you for the suggestions! I have never researched sublimed sulfur or charcoal for bacterial/fungal issues. I’m on it right now (-:

elisha salandanan says

February 11, 2016 at 8:30 am

The only way to get rid of those bacterial infections is by getting our guts healthy and that is through taking good quality probiotics. I have been a diabetic for 15 yrs and i have experienced so much of the effects of bad bacteria in my body resulting to so much health problems like yeast infection, fibromyalgia, depression, etc…read about it and check out where i get my probiotics from…candidasupport.org. for 3 yrs now i have had relief through this…along with proper diet and exercise, i got my energy back and i’m feeling a lot better!

Chris says

July 28, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Elizabeth balance is the primary factor, and balance is strictly per individual .one cannot get where one  wants to be without  some understanding of where one is, a functional  concept of real , and a perception of cause and effect. all of these depend  on viable information thank you for providing what you can.   

Elizabeth Walling says

July 30, 2012 at 8:04 am

I agree! Balance and the condition of the individual are paramount factors in achieving great health.

Suey says

April 4, 2014 at 2:27 pm

I hope you are still following this even though you wrote it almost 2 years ago. I recently started taking a seizure medication that has lowered my appetite quite q bit, yet my blood sugars have been through the roof. This has been frustrating to say the least, especially since I have been cutting out the amount of sugar and junk that I was eating. I figured that my liver was was kicking glycogen into my bloodstream since I haven’t been eating as much due to my medication, but the cortisol really makes sense too, especially since I am prone to panic attacks. Thanks for the great info!

Elizabeth Walling says

April 5, 2014 at 12:28 pm

Lowered appetite can definitely be linked to high cortisol levels. A lot of drugs that lower appetite on purpose do so by raising stress hormones adrenaline and cortisol. It’s a continuous cycle, too, because if you aren’t eating enough, that will keep stress hormones high as well.

Dana says

June 25, 2015 at 11:04 am

Hi Elizabeth,

Thank you for this great article, it makes a lot of sense to me.
I started a low carb diet 3 months ago in order to get healthier, loose weight and try to avoid getting type 2 diabetes after having a pregnancy diabetes.
3 months into the diet I got a result of a1c 5.8, higher than ever before on high carb diet. My fasting blood sugar also ranged between 97-105.I was very confuse, thinking that my sugar levels should have dropped on the new diet and not the opposite. Reading about cortisol really made sense.
So whats the best way to lower the sugar levels and avoid high cortisol apart from lowering stress levels? AI have 2 young children 🙂 is it raising the amount of safe carbs?
Thank you

Josh Finlay says

December 3, 2015 at 1:47 pm

Sorry to rain on your theory, but the real reason peroples blood sugar – boh fasting and postprandial – rise on a low carb diet isdue to insulin resistance from a combination of high fat and low carb. This type of insulin resistance s called physiological insulin resistance and is a mechanism through which the body spares glucose for the brain. It is debated whether it is bad for the body or not; I tend to think it is.

Mike says

March 1, 2017 at 7:37 pm

If that’s the case, wouldn’t every Inuit/Eskimo that lives on a traditional high fat low carb diet be insulin resistant?

Katherine A Bookin says

March 8, 2017 at 1:15 am

even though I have fasted or even eating proper my sugar is over the roof….Started off fab 100 to 110 great for a two month period then all of a sudden shot up to 235 to 453….no side effects or anything saying your body is in trouble….So they gave me two different meds metuformin n glipazide……still now out of control…I have very bad back n hip problems n they are saying due to the very bad pain I have it raises my sugar n my pressure…..The pain has gotten so bad that I actually get to point where i lose my breath n get weak in the knees….Please help..Can the pain be throwing my sugar n pressure out of whack n what can I do about it???? HELP PLEASE..

Elizabeth Walling says

March 9, 2017 at 3:05 pm

Pain can affect your cortisol levels which can affect your blood sugar levels. Pain management and stress management is crucial for metabolic health. Please work with a health professional to help get your sugar to a healthy level. Also, self-care always helps. Get some sunlight, eat well, drink enough, meditate, etc. if you can.

Barbara says

July 18, 2017 at 7:58 am

When I was diagnosed as “Pre-diabetic” my first thought was “You can’t be a little bit pregnant.” So, I started on low carbs, almost no sugar. At first it worked well, and then — well, my fasting BGL went through the roof. I struggled with it for a while and one day I thought nothing was going to work, so I let myself go and had more carbs and a little more sugar. The next morning I was almost afraid to take my BGL, but it was down! I tried the next several days on the same diet, more carbs and a little more sugar. My BGL is lower than it’s been in ages, and I’m a much happier camper!

Elizabeth W. says

July 19, 2017 at 2:19 pm

There’s definitely a balance to it! There are so many factors that come into play in terms of how many carbohydrates each of us needs to function at our best. It’s lower for some and higher for others. It’s so good to listen to your body and find what works for you.

Melina says

September 27, 2017 at 12:26 pm

I have been experiencing the same thing. I am amazed that after following ketogenic lifestyle, my fasting bg was very high. After starting to add back starchy carbs, only around 75 to 100g daily A.M. readings are lower. My husband is the opposite.

Adam M says

September 20, 2017 at 10:36 am

This is a useless and frustrating article. You mention at the end that we need to lower cortisol to remedy the situation, and then you don’t even explain how to do it. You mentioned writing more posts later, but where are they?

All you do is mention an e-book we need to get. So basically the entire post was a sales pitch to buy your e-book. Very helpful.

As I was getting to the end of the article I thought you were going to help me, but now I would never buy anything you’ve written. Shameful.

Elizabeth W. says

September 20, 2017 at 2:42 pm

Hi Adam, thanks for your feedback. I actually have written a post about reducing stress hormones here: https://www.livingthenourishedli ... ce-stress-hormones/

Belinda says

November 30, 2017 at 9:44 am

I have been a smoldering diabetic for years. What happens when carbs are removed abruptly from the diet is a backlash from your liver. The liver is accustomed to a certain level of blood sugar, and if that drops, especially rapidly, the liver will dump sugar into your blood. This explains why, after I have been low carb and then eat carbs I feel better AND my blood sugars are LOWER. I suggest gradually reducing carbs and I definately am a proponent of fat.

Tiago Faria says

February 14, 2018 at 7:42 am

For people that are adapted to burn fat for energy, fasting blood glucose can be in the pre-diabetic range, that can happen because the muscles are saying “no” to glucose (since they prefer fat now) so it lingers around in the blood. In these cases the patient has a low fasting insulin level and a high insulin sensitivity.
So measure glucose levels + insulin and do the HOMA-IR calculation taking any conclusions.

Carmelo says

March 15, 2018 at 5:08 pm

Hi Elizabeth,

I have a question, you state a lot of opinions about lo carb and cortisol being the culprit. You even go on to claim your body self canbolizes itself. Could you post your references for the studies that you obtained this information?

Elizabeth W. says

March 16, 2018 at 2:45 pm

Definitely. Here’s some research on how cortisol can increase gluconeogenesis: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11724664 and an article that goes into greater detail about how muscle tissue can be metabolized here: https://www.sciencedirect.com/sc ... /S152586101630113X. And also research that shows that low-carb diets can increase cortisol levels: https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/1199154

Obviously, each one of us is different when you put together all the factors like genetics, lifestyle, stress, diet, exercise, etc. So it’s helpful to take into account these differences and also pay attention to how your individual body responds (in how you feel as well as biological indicators like body temperature, blood sugar levels, and hormone testing, etc.).

whisperingsage says

July 18, 2018 at 8:28 pm

Look up Youtube videos on biochemistry and cellular respiration. Or take a class. It is not opinion. People got Nobel prizes for discovering each excruciating detail. Pick up a book. You can get a used biochemistry book for fair price used and not the newest.

Nancy Molloy says

July 19, 2018 at 1:19 pm

I am so frustrated. I am one of those who doesn’t eat processed foods, white flour and sugar products, grains, beans, root vegetables, soda, or anything other than water, tea and coffee, and my sugar came back over 300. My doctor is frantic and wants to put me on metformin. He is very concerned about the potential for a stroke. I have no symptoms, take cinnamon, ACV, berberine, and other blood sugar supplements, drink a ridiculous amount of water. and really do not want to take the meds. I actually think my blood sugar is coming down…but because this is his first time seeing the readings, he naturally assumes that it is high. I do not have anyone to discuss this with, that is why I was thrilled to read your article on cortisol, and sign up for more information. I am anxious to find out more about controlling my cortisol levels. I will probably take a very low dose, just to appease him, but begin moving, lose weight, and as my numbers come down, just get off of it altogether., I would love to hear your thoughts…God bless you for your help…

Elizabeth W. says

July 20, 2018 at 3:12 pm

I definitely think working with your doctor to continue monitoring your blood sugar levels and how they’re affected by lifestyle/diet/medication, etc. Physical activity does play a big role in both blood sugar and cortisol levels.

Pam Housden says

July 24, 2018 at 9:33 am

I have Cushing’s disease and am the first person in the U.S. diagnosed with “cyclic” Cushing’s in 1989 in Seattle. I have had 2 brain surgeries for a pituitary tumor, one in 1989 and 2nd one in 2016; the tumor is growing and may possibly need a 3rd brain surgery. For the last 3 years I’ve been dealing with high blood sugar, with my last reading 8.4…I’ve changed how I eat and lowered my carb intake and cut out all sugar drinks. I’m not on a keto diet as I have no gall bladder. You statement of how the Cortisol level can make the blood sugar high. My ACTH level is high and the tumor is secreating the ACTH..
how do I balance the glucose to get the 8.4 down? I’m taking 2 diabetic meds I started them 2 weeks ago, with my blood sugar 180 this morning I’m beginning to think that I’m beating my head against a wall as the hormone imbalance is so messed up there is no way to regulate the blood sugar, even with the diabetic meds. What is your thoughts on this?

Elizabeth W. says

July 28, 2018 at 4:46 pm

Your situation is definitely complex, and I can’t give any real recommendations considering all the factors. I would work with your doctor on a multi-level approach to help with your blood sugar levels. Things like meditation and exercise may play a big role for you. I hope you find some answers. Hugs!

Gaylen says

March 12, 2019 at 6:01 pm

I don’t have a gallbladder or a thyroid gland, am post menopausal, type 2 diabetic, and have been doing KETO for years. My a1c is 5.3, and I’m not on any diabetic medication and never have been. I was a dialysis nurse years ago, so I’m very motivated when it comes to diet.

Gillian says

August 4, 2018 at 2:55 pm

Your body will not use its own muscle tissue as fuel if glucose is in short supply, this is a myth. Our bodies are not stupid. Why would you burn your sofa while you have all this clean, sustainable wood? (Fat stores) If this was true, the human race would most definitely be extinct. NO, our body when it enters ketosis releases hormones that PROTECT our muscle tissue.

Elizabeth W. says

August 6, 2018 at 9:43 am

You might enjoy reading this article (which, incidentally, is actually pro low-carb): https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/fasting-blood-glucose-higher

Quote:

** “Prolonged cortisol stimulation will raise blood glucose levels,” notes Dr. Jason Fung, who wrote an entire chapter on the stress hormone in his 2016 bestseller The Obesity Code. In it he describes how cortisol, released from the adrenal glands, sends a message to the body to release glucose to prepare for a perceived threat, spurring gluconeogenesis in the liver. In prehistoric times, that surge of glucose energy was usually used up fighting or fleeing from the threat. But in current days, often that stress goes unreleased, the energy not used, which can lead to prolonged higher glucose levels (and higher insulin levels to try to bring it down.) **

John IL says

September 30, 2018 at 7:13 am

Been a type 2 diabetic for 15 years at least and some symptoms may go back even further. People should realize with type 2 that not everything is out of balance with your body. Typically your insulin is being produced its just not working correctly. The best fix for type 2 diabetics is a dramatic and consistent change to a much less carb oriented diet and a focus on proteins and good fats. If you rely on drugs alone they only mask or try and slow or expel the carbs taken in they do not repair the insulin resistance. All you can do is try and eat better in a way that reduces the demands on your weakened body to process glucose. This means making a permanent change to your diet that creates much less spikes in blood glucose releases. No exact science with this, because every type 2 diabetic is at different stages of the disease. Let’s be clear, no drug cures or heals diabetics. They all try and trick the body into being more efficient in dealing with carbs. But the bodies abilities are still compromised so the best help is to not over tax that weakened system in the first place.

Newer Comments »
LEAVE A REPLY
Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Comment *

Name *

Email *

Website

Current ye@r *
PRIMARY SIDEBAR
Search this website
Search this website
ABOUT ME

Hi there! I'm Elizabeth and I created The Nourished Life in 2009. Here you'll find my favorite (delicious!) healthy recipes, DIY tutorials, home remedies that work, and lifestyle tips for creating a life that makes you happy from the inside out. Learn more about me here.

FEATURED AT

COPYRIGHT © 2022 THE NOURISHED LIFE
AFFILIATE DISCLOSURE · DISCLAIMER · PRIVACY POLICY · TERMS OF SERVICE · SITEMAP

EXCLUSIVE MEMBER OF MEDIAVINE FOOD
brand logos that have featured The Nourished Life
Recommended Content
16 Famous Quotes About Stress
Recommended Content
Coconut Sugar Simple Syrup Recipe
Recommended Content
Bamboo Leaf Tea Benefits for Healthy Skin + Hair
Recommended Content
1-Step DIY Washing Machine Cleaning Powder
Recommended Content
21 Homemade Sugar Scrub Recipes (Great for Gifts!)
Recommended Content
DIY Sensual Massage Oil (Regular or Warming)
Recommended Content
The Number One Ingredient to Avoid
Recommended Content
DIY Eyelash Growth Serum Recipe
Recommended Content
How to Make Homemade Potato Chips w/ Coconut Oil
Recommended Content
Best Homemade Cough Syrup (w/ Pineapple Juice)
Recommended Content
8 Homemade Facial Masks to Rejuvenate Your Skin
Recommended Content
DIY Toner for Acne and Oily Skin (Just 2 Ingredients)
Recommended Content
Giant Chocolate Chip Cookie in a Cast Iron Pan
Recommended Content
Why You REALLY Lost 10 lbs in One Week
Recommended Content
Can coconut oil REALLY help with acne and clear skin?
Recommended Content
How to Use Amino Acids for Sleep, Energy + Mood
Recommended Content
Peppermint Foaming Sugar Scrub Recipe
Recommended Content
The Easiest Coconut Oil Fudge You'll Ever Make!
Recommended Content
How to Use Adaptogenic Herbs for Stress
Recommended Content
Why You Need to Try Oil Pulling (It's Not Crazy, Promise)
Recommended Content
Get Rid of PMS Anxiety & Mood Swings FOR GOOD - 5 Root Causes
Recommended Content
How to Use Baobab Powder + 4 Reasons You Should
Recommended Content
5 Ways to Naturally Lighten Hair at Home (Without Bleach!)
Recommended Content
How to Stop Binge Eating for Good
Recommended Content
The Best Old-Fashioned Soft Molasses Cookie Recipe EVER
Recommended Content
How I Finally Got Myself to Start Meditating Every Day
Recommended Content
Coconut Oil Cleanse: How to Do It (and When You Shouldn't)
Recommended Content
My Raw Milk Diet: What I Did + How I Did It
Recommended Content
DIY Charcoal Mask (Without Glue) - For Acne and Clogged Pores
Recommended Content
Coconut Oil for Weight Loss: 3 Strategies to Start Now
Recommended Content
5 Tips to Prevent Coffee Jitters + Caffeine Anxiety
Recommended Content
Do you know your Type of beauty?
Recommended Content
I stopped dieting 6 years ago and this happened...
Recommended Content
The BEST Coffee Smoothie: Boost Your Metabolism w/ My Secret Recipe
Recommended Content
31 Natural DIY Cleaning Recipes
Recommended Content
7 Healthy Habits that are Stressing Your Metabolism
Recommended Content
Rosehip Face Serum Recipe for Maturing Skin
Recommended Content
21 Home Remedies for Headaches that WORK (Even for Migraines!)
Recommended Content
5 Benefits of Deep Breathing Exercises for Stress + Happiness
Recommended Content
If you ever say "something is missing in my life" - you need to read this!
Recommended Content
How to Find the Healthiest, Safest Cookware
Recommended Content
12 Natural (and Totally Weird) Toothpaste Alternatives You MUST Try
Recommended Content
How to Make Kombucha Tea: The Ultimate Guide
Recommended Content
Homemade "Nutella" Recipe {Chocolate Hazelnut Spread}

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|www.hutong9.net

GMT-5, 2024-4-25 12:58 AM , Processed in 0.036524 second(s), 14 queries .